How to Write a Letter of Interest
Letters of interest are written to express your interest in working for a particular company in a specific field. Your letter may be written either in response to a job opening or just to investigate possible employment.
- Before you write, do your homework. Research the background of the company and familiarize yourself with their products and/or services.
- Be sure to find out the name of the individual who does the hiring. Address your letter to his/her attention and use her/his name in the salutation. Simply writing “To Whom It May Concern” and “Dear Sir or Madam” could be considered be lazy or rude.
- Start your introductory paragraph with the reason you are interested in pursuing employment with this company. Try not to start the first sentence with “I”. (See sample letter of interest.) Also, explain what prompted your inquiry, such as a classified advertisement, a media article or interview, or a referral from an employee.
- In the next paragraph(s), give specific examples of your qualifications. Don’t hesitate to indicate the reasons why you would be an asset to the company. Illustrate your skills, strengths, and achievements in a professional, yet personable way. Stay away from strings of abbreviated credentials. These, if you have them, should be on the resume you’ll enclose with the letter. Direct the reader to your resume and any other enclosures.
- In your final paragraph, thank the individual for his/her time in considering you as a new employee. Indicate a precise time when you will contact him/her by phone to follow up on your letter. Also, be sure to let the individual know how to contact you.
Your City, Region,
Your Phone Number
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I am interested in finance and I would like to inquire about positions at ABD Company. ABD’s Professional Leadership Program has been recommended to me as one of the most highly regarded corporate finance training programs in the industry. I would be interested in learning more about the company and about available opportunities.
I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from XYZ University. In addition, I completed two internships focusing on finance and spent a summer work for DEF Corporation at its New York City headquarters.
My resume, which is enclosed, contains additional information on my experience and skills. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the leadership program with you and to provide further information on my candidacy. I can be reached via my cell phone, 555-555-5555 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you about this exciting opportunity.